Saving money is difficult, mostly because as soon as money comes, we want to spend it. If you are one of the many people who has trouble holding on to money, then maybe you just need a trick to follow to save. There are many ideas of how to save money that, if you follow, you will be saving a lot of money in little time. These are some tips I've heard over time that will save you money provided you follow them.
- Save bills. Set aside a specific type of bill that you will save every time you get. For example, whenever you get a five dollar bill that's from previous generations put it into savings. Or whenever you get one dollar bills save them.
- Unbalance your checkbook. Whenever you write a check, round the number of the check up in the check stub. For example, if you write a check for thirty two dollars, in the check stub act as though you wrote a check for thirty five. Over time this will create a cushion of money at the bottom of your account that you can deposit into your savings every month.
- Pay yourself before you pay others. Have an account that you deposit money into as soon as you get your paycheck. This will help you spend less money because you won't have any to spend. If you keep yourself from ever withdrawing from that account you will be much better off. I would start by depositing 5% of your income, then trying for 10% if you can handle living off of 90%.
- Save on expenses. If you really need to save some money and you have unnecessary expenses then try this one. For a few months cancel a service, or cut down on electricity, and instead of keeping the money you save over the months, you deposit it into savings.
- Leave yourself a tip. Whenever you indulge yourself by buying a cup of coffee or seeing a movie, decide on a percentage and leave your savings account a tip for the indulgence. For example if you spend ten dollars on a movie, and settle on 10%, then you would deposit $1 into your savings account. This will not only give you a fairly good boost to your savings, but it will also discourage frivolous spending a little.
Saving money can be difficult enough with temptations and an endless list of wants. With these saving tips you will be on your way to saving money in no time. It's always easier to save money when you have rules and follow them closely. Start saving today and enjoy the benefits that saving offers.